Choosing a Major
Choosing a major in college is one of the most important decisions you’ll make, so you don’t want to take it lightly. However, you don’t want to stress out over it.
By taking your time and following the right steps, you will feel confident that you made the right choices for your future.
Before making a decision, make it easier by asking questions similar to these:
- Do your strengths lie in computers and other technology?
- Do you enjoy being around children?
- Would you like to travel?
- Do you want to work outdoors or rather have an office job?
Also, take advantage of:
- Classmates, especially upperclassmen, are extremely helpful because they are deep into their major, have had internships and gone through job interviews. Use their experiences, good and bad, to help guide you as you make future decisions.
- Professors and college advisors have worked in the field in which they teach and are experts about careers and career opportunities.
- Your college’s career center has books and self-assessment tools to help you with choosing a major. Career counselors can put you in touch with a faculty member or student leader who can answer your questions about a particular department. Counselors can also help write résumés and cover letters, and search for internships and jobs.
- Your course catalog has tons of useful information that will be helpful when making a final decision in choosing your major. The catalog gives details about each course you’ll be required to take depending on what career track you decide you embark, including course description, credit hours, special fees and required materials.
Your major and deciding what field you want to go into could determine what college you will end up attending. Do not sacrifice your ultimate career goals because your school of choice doesn’t have your major of choice. You must make sure that you are choosing a major and college that suits you and is something you can see yourself doing for a long time.
Need help finding a major that suits your interests? MyMajors.com provides useful advice for students on finding a college major based on your personal preferences. Take a short quiz and find your best fitting college majors.